The Cloverfields plantation, which the Meriwether family first acquired as part of the 3,000 acre grant to Nicholas Meriwether II in 1729. No one called it "cloverfields" until at least 1760, when Nicholas Meriwether II and his wife, Margaret Douglas built the first dwelling on the property. At the present time, there are several buildings in which people live. The original chimney from the kitchen still stands on the property, as well as the original smokehouse. The other buildings have been updated and/or rebuilt since the Meriwether's lived there. One of the buildings was added to the property in order to keep it from being destroyed. Developers were building on the land where the building originally stood.
The graveyard is, of course, also in its original spot and condition. Edward C. Mead wrote in 1899 "Here sleep undisturbed on their native ground those noble men and women who lived in the exciting times of the REvolution and saw the wild country emerge into a 'new nation.'" Many of the people who lived at the plantation were originally buried in the family plot, but have since been moved to Grace Church in Cismont. Many people interred in the graveyard lie in unmarked tombs. The most well-known burial there is William Lewis, Meriwether's father. While on leave from the Continental Army to visit his wife and children at Locust Hill, he crossed the Rivanna River in a flood. His horse drowned and he caught pneumonia. Cloverfields, his wife Lucy's childhood home was much closer, so he went there to recouperate. Instead, he died there, and his body was never moved.
Cloverfields is still a private property owned by the descendants of the Meriwether family.
"Cloverfields Cemetery." Write-up by Douglas Valentine. April 1998 and Barnes, Sara Lee. Live Interview at Cloverfields. 2 December 2002.
Back to Interactive Map
|Home | Site Map | Maps and Homes | Bibliography|