The statue was unveiled and dedicated to the City of Charlottesville on November 21, 1919 at Midway Park.
The ceremony was a community wide event, attended by students and Charlottesville residents, and was laden
with patriotic and religious ideology, such as the singing of “America” by a thousand Charlottesville elementary students.
President Alderman’s speech, written in a descriptive language that today seems overly ornate, gives us some clues as to how
those in Charlottesville interpreted the statue. His emphasis on the legacy of Lewis and Clark in Albemarle County, their birthplace, suggests that the statue was intended to instill a sense of local and regional pride. The ceremony concluded with a historical discourse given by the Hon. Armistead Churchill Gordon.
Click to see the complete published pamphlet on the dedication ceremony.
Click to see Daily Progress coverage of the ceremony.
Click to see Cavalier Daily coverage of the ceremony.