Peter Jeffersons Shadwell was built in 1737 and named
after the London parish in which his wife Jane Jefferson was born. His estate consisted of
1,000 acres and he acquired an additional 400 acres from his good friend and neighbor
William Randolph who received a bowl of Henry Weatherbournes arrack punch for the
trade (Rawlings 9). The book The Albemarle of Other Days by Mary Rawlings provides a
description of Jeffersons estate:
Shadwell was a farm-house of a story and a half in height,
and had the four spacious ground rooms and hall, with garret columns above, common in
these structures two hundred years since. It also had the usual huge outside massive
chimneys, planted against each gable like Gothic buttresses, but massive enough, had been
their use, to support the walls of the cathedral, instead of those a low wooden cottage.
In that house was born Thomas Jefferson (Rawlings 10).
Shadwell was located on the highway and was frequented by many visitors who received the old Virginia hospitality (Rawlings 10). The site of Peter Jeffersons Shadwell is located a few miles east of Charlottesville on modern day 250 East and is denoted by a Virginia historical marker.
(Photo taken by Bryan Maxwell)
for the Shadwell Estate between William Randolph and Peter Jefferson
By deed dated May 18, 1736 William Randolph Jun. Esq. of the County of
Goochland conveyed to Peter Jefferson, Gent. of the County of Goochland, in
consideration of Henry Weatherbornes biggest bowl of Arrack punch to him
delivered, one certain tract or parcel of land containing two hundred acres,
situate, lying and being on the north side of the North Anna in the parrish of St. James
in the County of Goochland aforesaid and is bounded as followeth, to-wit:
This deed provides:
Properly Executed, Acknowledged, Ceritified and Recorded May 18, 1736 in
[?], p. 222 of the Clerks Office of Goochland County.
Abstracts of Title to Shadwell Properties, 1735-1945, Accession #5087, University of Virginia Library, Charlottesville, Va.